In this episode, I touch on what integrative mental health means to me, go over criteria so support you in selecting interventions that are meaningful to you, and list some integrative interventions for depression. I would love to hear your thoughts. Please feel free to post on my website or email me. Here are the show notes:
Depression as a heat and inflammatory response.
- Scientists are discovering there are different subtypes of Alzheimer’s
- Beliefs are that we will see this is the same for many different mental health concerns
- So many interventions are effective, yet not one intervention is effective for everyone
Possible Depression Interventions:
- 2 grams of EPA Fish Oil per day
- Broccoli Sprouts of 2 cups per day or lesser amount of sprouts with a Broccoli Sprouts Powder Pill – It’s still important to eat the sprouts as the same time of the pill. Miocene is destroyed when broccoli sprouts are powdered, without Miocene the body can’t produce Sulforaphane from the broccoli sprout powder. Some people have a gut bacterium that produces an adequate amount of Miocene and some people’s gut bacteria produce very little, so take pills with sprouts at the same time or eat 2 cups of sprouts per day.
- Heat Exposure (Sauna or Hot Bath), Hot Yoga, or intense exercise – 4 times a week for 30-100 minutes, with hot water at 104 degrees, for 4 to 8 weeks. Heat exposure releases about 77% of the beneficial hormones as intense exercise does, so if one isn’t able to significantly raise their body temperature through intense exercise begin with Heat Exposure. Hot yoga volunteers wearing a rectal probe raised their internal temperatures to a similar temperature as participants in an infrared box for 100 minutes. A percentage of people with depression have a low-grade internal fever, though feel cold to the touch. Heat exposure is believed to reset the bodies’ temperature mechanism, as people with heat exposure maintain a lower internal body temperature. Heat exposure also activates opioid receptors in the body and offers pain relief.
- Safe Space Exercise, 8-10 times a day for 20-30 seconds (5 minutes a day) – studies showed that practicing an exercise similar to this one, https://nurves.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/a-safe-place-a-relaxation-technique/, for 8-10 times a day, for 20-30 seconds, for 6 weeks, changed blood flow in what was believed to be a beneficial way, increased blood flow in pre-frontal cortex, during scans.
- Eat a high fat, moderate protein, low carb, and no highly processed food diet for maximum reduction in inflammation. Fats help insulate neuro connections, reducing static and noise in brain, decrease anxious thoughts, and support in deeper sleep. Any highly processed foods should be avoided, eg anything that’s been turned into a powder, even protein powders are quickly absorbed by the body and are more likely to be turned into carbohydrates and have an inflammatory affect.
- Fasting as a way to decrease inflammation – recommended minimum to reduce inflammation is 24-hour fasts, so could finish dinner Sunday at 6pm, then on Monday break the fast at 6pm. For people with low body weigh, it’s important to get in a sufficient amount of calories. When breaking the fast eat lots of healthy fats and some healthy proteins. Carbohydrates have an inflammation effect, all processed carbohydrates and sugars should be avoided. Sheep milk/cheese and coconut oil are preferred by the brain. Okay to do “Fast Mimicking” Diet, which allows for fats to be eaten, eg butter/heavy cream/MCT Oil in coffee, macadamia nuts, bone broth, etc.
- Somatic Therapies & Meditation – EMDR, Somatic Experiencing, Trauma Resolution – modalities that work with the body. It is believed that both verbal and physical trauma, as well as other traumas, mentholated the dna, this methylation/change to the epigenetic, can be passed on for generations, increasing cortisol, which is correlated to anxiety and depression
- Psilocybin assisted psychotherapy – psilocybin is being shown to support amygdala regeneration, this is the part of the brain that takes signals and determines if they are threats are not. Psilocybin assisted psychotherapy is being shown to drastically reduce the default mode network and believed to increase neuroplasticity through this mechanism
Resources to follow:
- Dr. Rhonda Patrick, https://www.foundmyfitness.com
- Dr. Peter Attia, https://peterattiamd.com/
- Dr. Charles Raison, http://www.raisonresearchgroup.com/
- Book Recommendation: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393706664/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=foun06-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=0393706664&linkId=9fb3c19a9a50612fd9bfbbfacae91b4d
- Dr. Kelly Brogan, https://kellybroganmd.com/start-here/
- Book Recommendation: https://kellybroganmd.com/amindofyourown/
Notes from Episodes:
Evolutionary Theory – 10,000 years ago we were most likely to die from infections from wounds. When we were emotionally stressed it was more likely that we would be wounded, eg feeling stressed during a hunt or an attack from another tribe. Our bodies would increase their temperature, as this would support us in killing off infections; similar to the theory of why body temperature rises after eating, as a way to kill off any infectious materials in the food.
- Rhonda Patrick – The Underlying Mechanics of Depression – 9 min video – https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/inflammation-depression
- Causes of depression – overactivity of our immune system or inflammation, which can be caused by poor nutrition, obesity, poor gut health, sedentary lifestyle, poor sleep and social stress, important to address
- 2 grams of EPA Fish Oil Per Day, has been shown in studies to reduce depressive symptoms
- Minute 26 depression, minute 38 recap.
- Dose 40 minute – powder and sprout over doubles the effect, only sprouts are uncooked croucerfous veggies have miocene, miocene is needed to transform into sulforaphane, and mustard seed
- 24 hour fasting for depression.
- Some people made need more inflammatory stress instead of less, yet majority of people need decrease in inflamation
- Heat exposure, hot yoga, rectal temperature is the same in hot yoga as in heat exposure box, hot sauna, or even hot bath
- Heat stress activates u-opiod receptor and has 33% more potency than morphine, and diaphorne is upregulated
- Taking antioxidants after heat stress prevents beneficial response for depression